The bas-relief tablet is among the finest examples of late Roman ivories. It is a justly famous piece because it is one of the first ivory diptychs with religious content and one of the earliest known representations of the Holy Sepulchre, which appears below the images of two Evangelists: Luke, symbolised by a bull, and Mathew, by an angel. In the scene below, the women, united in mourning for the dead Saviour, encounter a character, who represents an angel or the risen Christ. The presence of only two evangelists suggests the existence of a second piece, now lost.
In 1305, the wealthy banker and merchant Enrico Scrovegni dedicated a new chapel, dedicated to the Virgin of Charity, on the site of an old Roman arena in Padua, Italy. The frescoes, by Giotto di Bondone, cover the life of the Virgin Mary and the life of Christ.