When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability.
In 1305, the wealthy banker and merchant Enrico Scrovegni dedicated a new chapel, dedicated to the Virgin of Charity, on the site of an old Roman arena in Padua, Italy. The frescoes, by Giotto di Bondone, cover the life of the Virgin Mary and the life of Christ.